Whether you are new to genealogy, or a seasoned family historian, this site will give you plenty of advice to help you get the most from this exciting hobby. Every once in a while we need a helping hand to show us the way! So let me be that guide for you on your journey as you discover your ancestors.
You will find useful guides, tips and reviews spread over the four sections of this site. So if you are wondering what genealogy program to buy, what is DNA genealogy testing all about, or how do you write your very own family history book then you have come to the right place.
Get Involved and Help Build The Genealogy Guide Site!
Something missing on this site? Is there a topic, tool, resource, date or even an event not featured that you would like to see? No problem, just comment below or contact me.
I am always interested in hearing your tips or suggestions as I want to build a genealogy site that will help you. Or if there is an article that you find useful then please like and share it with your family and friends.
If you have your own genealogy blog then please feel free to link to The Genealogy Guide.
Write For Me!
I also welcome guest bloggers to contribute articles to the site. It doesn’t matter what it is about as long as you think it will help people trace their family history.
What better way to give back to the genealogy world, (like I am doing), than by helping your fellow family historians. So get involved today!
The Genealogy Guide is your guide to help you on your family history journey!
Free Genealogy Guides & Resources:
- Books – Thousands of genealogy books are available to you for free which can greatly help with your research.
- Classes – Learn from the experts via presentations and webinars.
- DNA Resources – Learn what DNA help you can get once you have got your results.
- Forms and Charts – Discover where to download free genealogy forms and charts.
- Sites – Discover where you can find your ancestors records on free genealogy search websites.
- Paid Sites – Yes, you can access some genealogical records for free at the paid subscription sites.
- And much, much more!
Helpful Genealogy Guides & Tips:
- An Introduction to Family History – Just getting started into the world of genealogy? Get helpful advice on what this hobby is all about here.
- Old Family Photos – Learn how your old family photographs can help you discover your ancestors.
- Preserve Your Family Treasures – Do you what family heirlooms that you have at home? Do you know what is the best way that you can preserve them for future generations? Learn what you can do to protect the past.
- Research Your Family History – Learn about your family’s coat of arms, your name and surname. Find out how to discover your war ancestors, break down brick walls and what you can discover from census records.
- Write and Publish Your Family History – Get practical help with how to write your own family history book.
My Personal Top Genealogy Tips!
10 Steps To Start Your Family History:
- Start With Yourself – Do you know what information you already have right at your fingertips? Do you know the origins of your surname?
- Ask Your Relatives – Your family can be a great help when it comes to finding out more about your ancestors. The best thing about this step is that it is totally FREE!
- Write What You Have So Far – Make sense of all the collected information by writing up all that you have learned thus far. How do you do that? Find out here.
- Concentrate On An Individual – Don’t lose direction with your research. Follow your family tree branches and discover each family member in turn before you move on to the next.
- Search Online – Discover what genealogy sites that you can visit to find out more about your ancestors.
- Research Where Your Ancestor Lived – Discovering where your ancestors came from can give you a sense of appreciation of their lives and what they went through.
- Visit Archives and Family History Society – Your local archives and family history society can give you invaluable guides and advice as how to explore the area in which your ancestor lived. And they can show you what information that they have about your ancestors as well.
- Enter Your Collected Information – You will need a genealogy software program to enter all of your collected information and start to your build your tree. Find out which program is best for you here.
- Visit Your Ancestors Area – Actually visiting where your ancestors grew up and live can help you take it all in. Just what the place looked like or may have looked like. It just gives you a stronger connection between you and them.
- Repeat The Steps – Simple, repeat all that you have learned and apply it to your next ancestor.
The Best That The Web Has To Offer!
Resources & Tools Available To You:
- DNA Genealogy Testing – Discover what DNA genealogy testing is all about and how it can help you. Learn which DNA testing company is right for you as I review each of them.
- Family History Books and Downloads – Guidebooks can help us learn how to get the most out of a genealogy program, website or service. They can also help us discover our roots as well.
- Family History Magazine – There are a number of genealogy magazines available that look at our ancestors and what life was like for them. They provide practical guides and tips that help us get the most out of our research.
- Genealogy Classes, Courses & Programs – Get valuable help from genealogy classes, courses as well as programs as well.
- Genealogy Search Websites – Learn what sites that you can use to find records about your ancestors. Discover which ones you have to pay for and which ones are FREE!
- Genealogy Software – Computer programs help us to create and build our family tree effortlessly. Which one is right for you? Find out here.
- Genealogy Webinars & Podcasts – Getting help from the experts can really be that push that you need to get your family history research back on track. Find out what webinars and podcasts are out there that will surely be of help to you.
- Historic Newspaper Archive – Old newspaper archives featuring your ancestors are available. They could be wedding announcements, discuss incidents at their workplace or even brushes with the law.
Recommended Genealogy Products and Services!
Dates & Events That Are Important To Us:
- Genealogy and Family History – Find out dates that censuses were carried out for the United States and the United Kingdom, and other days that are special to genealogy and family history.
- Military and Defense Holidays – There are many days of the year that we set aside for our military ancestors. Learn all these days here.
- Origins of the Holidays – Do you know the origins behind days such as Halloween or Thanksgiving? Find out the fascinating history of these days and more.
- Religions and Saints – Did you even know that a saint was dedicated to practically any occupation that your ancestor did? Learn about these days and also patron saints of countries as well.
- Special Family Days – Do you know how many days are set aside for family? Well find out here as I will show them all and the history behind them.
Thank You and Please Leave A Comment
I hope that you do find The Genealogy Guide website both helpful and useful. If you think that this site will be helpful to others then please share it with your friends and family by using the social media buttons below.
If you have any questions or comments then please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.