2018 has begun and it brings new optimism for a new year. Let me share with you some New Year Resolution facts. I also want to share with you what my initial goals were for The Genealogy Guide and what my own resolutions are for this site.
A new year means a new start. And with that new year many of us will make a New Year Resolution or maybe even several of them.
- Do you know which are the most popular resolutions?
- Do you know how many of us will keep our resolutions alive?
- Do you know when to consider what our resolutions should be?
I will explore each of these questions and more below.
New Year Resolution Facts!
1. 45% of Americans make a New Year Resolution!
Every one of us has something that we would like to improve upon or that we want to accomplish. It could be at sport or it maybe that we want to take up a new hobby.
It could even be that we want to be a nicer person!
Of course there are many different resolutions that you can choose from. We don’t all have to be the same. But there are popular ones that will naturally spring to mind.
- Lose weight – Most of us will have put on a few pounds over the Christmas period, so it’s no doubt that we will want to lose some of that extra baggage.
- Get organized – Let’s face it, this year you didn’t do all that you wanted to do. And why’s that? Because you weren’t organized.
- Spend less and save more – You want to save money for that new car or that holiday. Now’s the time to do it!
- Stay fit and healthy – A new year means a new healthier you. So get on that exercise bike or start using that gym membership of yours.
- Quit smoking – A new year also means we can try to stop those dirty habits.
2. Not everyone though will keep their New Year Resolution!
How many of us will actually keep their New Year Resolution going for a whole 12 months? Not many of us I am sure.
In fact 22% will fail after a week into the new year. Then it will be 40% after a month, 50% after 3 months and 60% after 6 months.
Pretty dismal going isn’t it.
3. 67% of us make 3 or more resolutions!
There is no rule to say that we should just make one New Year Resolution. Of course though the more you have then the more you will fail.
4. 38% have never made a New Year Resolution!
Even if you don’t set a resolution for yourself for the new year you probably have in the past. But would you believe that 38% of us have never even made a New Year Resolution?
To be honest I haven’t for many a year. I did though when I was younger.
The reason why I did stop was because I felt that every day we should set ourselves goals and aspirations. So why should we wait until the start of a new year?
I don’t know why but something has changed inside of me and I feel like 2018 is a new start for me. And it is also a time to set some goals for The Genealogy Guide. More on this later.
5. When to make that pledge?
When do you think to yourself about your resolutions? How soon before the old year is ending do you decide what you want to achieve in the new year?
Well most of us, 65%, will make that pledge between December 28th and New Year’s Day. That’s only 5 days to think of something that we will try to keep for an entire year.
The rest of us, 35%, may have decided on our resolutions as early as May, or maybe decide on ours at the end of January.
6. More start than stop!
When it comes to resolutions most of us will want to start something new and exciting, rather than stopping an annoying habit.
84% of us will want to start or increase something compared to stopping or decreasing something, 16%
7. Try, try, and try again!
You’ve heard that old saying “If at first you don’t succeed then try, try, and try again“.
However, 40% of us will achieve our top resolution on our first attempt. The rest will either give up or will try multiple times. 17% of us though will actually achieve our goals after more than 6 attempts.
So, persistence does pay off, eventually.
New Year Resolutions for The Genealogy Guide!
Since creating this site back in June 2016 I have steadily written posts helping people with all aspects of genealogy. Whether you want to know more about DNA testing, want help with your old family photographs, or maybe you want to know which genealogy search website that you should visit.
I have started to cover those areas but of course the world of genealogy is a vast one.
My initial goals when I launched The Genealogy Guide was to:
- Give back to the genealogy world – I had a great time when I first started on my family history journey. I discovered my ancestors through many different sources. But I did have help along the way. So I wanted to return that favor.
- Make a site that is helpful – I have been there and done it, but it wasn’t easy. I didn’t know where to look. So I wanted help beginners with any query that they had about genealogy and show them where they can turn to.
- Make it easy to read – Let’s face it when you want to get help you don’t want to be dumbfounded by the assistance that you get. And that is why I wanted to make your family history journey as smooth as possible.
I am therefore glad to say that I have fulfilled those initial goals. But there is more that I can do with this site throughout 2018.
The 3 Resolutions for The Genealogy Guide!
1. Write more reviews about genealogy products and services
There are many kinds of genealogy product and service that can help us on our quest of knowing more about our ancestors. There are DNA testing kits, genealogy software programs, search websites containing millions of records, and many, many other kinds of products and services.
I therefore want to cover as many of these as possible throughout 2018 so that you have an informed opinion on what you should ultimately decide to use.
Everyone is of course different and one product that is suitable for one person may not be for someone else. With that said I will be reviewing as many genealogy products and services in the new year.
2. Write more informative, interesting and helpful posts
I am grateful that I have received many compliments thanking me for the helpful and interesting posts that I have written. As I mentioned earlier this was one of my goals for this site.
I want to keep helping you as best I can and I will keep doing that through these posts.
3. Climb the top 100 genealogy blogs list
Back in November 2017 I decided that I would submit this site to the Top 100 Genealogy Blogs list. I was surprised when my submission was accepted and that it had entered at #33.
This was a great achievement considering that this site was only launched 17 months earlier.
The Genealogy Guide remained at #33 for December.
As I continue to add more helpful content to this site I intend to climb the rankings. And as I do so I will keep you all informed as to the site’s progress.
My Final Thoughts!
Well, I have shared with you some pretty interesting facts about New Year Resolutions. I have also shared with you what my initial goals were when I first created The Genealogy Guide and what my New Year Resolutions are for this site.
But what are yours?
I would love to hear them. You can comment below and tell me.
I hope though that it is a desire to learn more about your ancestors. And if you do need help with anything genealogy related then please feel free to check out this site.
I have covered many different aspects of genealogy as I have mentioned. But if there is something missing from this site that you feel should be on it then please let me know.
May I end this post by wishing you all a Happy New Year!
Thank You and Please Leave A Comment
I hope you enjoyed this post exploring New Year Resolution facts and me sharing mine for The Genealogy Guide. If you think that this post will be helpful then please share it with friends and family using the social media buttons below.
If you have any questions or comments then please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.