Genealogy is an exciting hobby that can tell us so much about our past. Here are 100 family tree quotes that will make you think and also make you laugh as well about this favorite past time.
Where known I have given credit. If there is a quote that you feel needs crediting then please comment at the end of the post.
Family History Proverbs!
- To forget one’s ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root. — Chinese Proverb
- He who has no fools, knaves, or beggars in his family was begot by a flash of lightning. — Old English proverb
- You live as long as you are remembered. — Russian proverb
Genealogy Quotes To Make You Laugh!
- Where there’s a will there’s a genealogist.
- Genealogy is not fatal but it is a grave disease.
- Eventually all genealogists come to their census.
- Genealogist: We do precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
- Only a genealogist thinks that a step backwards is progress.
- Genealogify: To skillfully and imperceptibly turn a conversation to the topic of genealogy.
- Genealogist: Because freakin miracle worker is not an official job title.
- I’m a genealogist: I run around in circles and chase my own tale.
- Genealogy: It’s all about the roots.
- Genealogy: Chasing your own tale.
- So many ancestors, so little time.
- Genealogy is my therapy.
- Family Tree Hugger.
- Genealogists are relatively obsessed.
- Genealogy: Proving once and for all, that insanity is hereditary.
- Extreme Genealogy :Leave no stone unturned unless it’s a tombstone.
- Some Grandmas knit, real grandmas do genealogy.
- Friends come and go, but relatives tend to accumulate.
- Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead and irritate the living.
- I come from a long line of dead people.
Family History Quotes To Make You Think!
- Anybody can make history, only a great man can write it.
- I am bound to them, though I cannot look into their eyes or hear their voices. I honor their history. I cherish their lives. I will tell their story. I will remember them.
- We are who we are because they were who they were.
- Every time an old person dies it is as if a library burns down.
- Your ancestors count on you to remember them.
- Respect your ancestors for you are the result of a thousand loves.
- Who will tell your story when you’re gone?
- Knowing family history expands perspective.
- There is a fine line between a packrat and a serious family historian.
- Genealogists do not gather facts but breathe life into all who have gone before.
- Facts get recorded. Stories get remembered.
- Genealogy is like a magic mirror. Look into it, and pretty soon, interesting faces appear.
- My ancestors are always with me. So I am never alone.
- Remember that when a family member passes away, they take a library of memories with them.
- The roots of a family tree begin with the love of two hearts.
- Family. A link to the past and a bridge to our future.
- Our family. Like branches on a tree we all grown in different directions, yet our roots remain as one.
- Remember and honor family who have come and gone before you. Because they had a hand in shaping who you are.
- Divine genealogy is not limited to royal or priestly families, but is extended to all who would come unto Christ.
- Not only do we honor our ancestors but we live honorably because we are somebody’s future ancestors.
- We are the chosen. In each family, there is one who seems called to find the ancestors. To put flesh on their bones and make them alive again, to tell the family story and t feel that somehow they know and approve. Doing genealogy is not a cold gathering of facts, but instead, breathing life into all who have gone before. We are the storytellers of the tribe.
More Genealogy Quotes To Make You Laugh!
- You know you are addicted to genealogy when … you are more interested in what happened in 1813 than in 2013.
- What was that one thing that always interferes with my genealogy obsession? Oh yeah … life!
- When I dies I give my friends to change my Facebook status to “Is visiting with ancestors”!
- It’s just a matter of time before they add “syndrome” after the word Genealogy.
- Whoever said “seek and ye shall find” was not a genealogist.
- Some family trees have beautiful leaves, and some have just a bunch of nuts. Remember, it is the nuts that make the tree worth shaking.
- Genealogy: It’s not the size of the tree that matters. It’s the quality of the nuts you find on there.
- I collect dead relatives and sometimes a live cousin.
- My ancestors must be in a witness protection program.
- I shook my family tree and a bunch of nuts fell out.
- There are no limits to what you can accomplish in your genealogy research when you are supposed to be doing something else.
Credited Family History Quotes!
- We all grow up with the weight of history on us. Our ancestors dwell in the attics of our brains as they do in the spiraling chains of knowledge hidden in every cell of our bodies. — Shirley Abbott
- Preserve your memories, keep them well, what you forget you can never retell. — Louisa May Alcott
- I don’t have to look up my family tree because I know that I’m the sap. — Fred Allen
- We don’t own our family history. We simply preserve it for the next generation. — Rosemary Alva
- We need to haunt the house of history and listen anew to the ancestors wisdom. – Maya Angelou
- I wish I had realized that family history is a perishable commodity. It disappears with time, as memories fade, and as loved ones pass on. I wish I had known that the most important aspect of family history is preserving a record of the present for the future. — Guy Black
- Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing. – Wernher von Braun
- If we tried to sink the past beneath our feet, be sure the future would not stand. – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday. — Pearl S Buck
- Family faces are magic mirrors. Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present and future. — Gail Lumet Buckley
- People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors. — Edmund Burke
- We all carry inside us, people who came before us. — Liam Callanan
- There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children – one is roots, and the other, wings. — Hodding S. Carter
- We’ve uncovered some embarrassing ancestors in the not-too-distant past. Some horse thieves, and some people killed on Saturday nights. One of my relatives, unfortunately, was even in the newspaper business. — Jimmy Carter
- A man who thinks too much about his ancestors is like a potato—the best part of him is underground — Henry S.F. Cooper
- If you don’t know history, you don’t know anything. You are a leaf that doesn’t know it is part of a tree. – Michael Crichton
- Every man is a quotation from all his ancestors. — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- We are the children of many sires, and every drop of blood in us in its turn … betrays its ancestor. — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- What people are ashamed of usually makes a good story. — F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Don’t revise history to be politically correct. — Liz Calloway Gooch
- Every family has a story that it tells itself, that it passes on to the children and grandchildren. The story grows over the years, mutates, some parts are sharpened, others dropped, and there is often debate about what really happened. But even with these different sides of the same story, there is still agreement that this is the family story. — A.M. Hames
- In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep, to know our heritage. To know who we are and where we have come from. — Alex Haley
- If you look deeply into the palm of your hands, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. — Thich Nhat Hanh
- The thing that interests me most about family history is the gap between the things we think we know about our families and the realities. – Jeremy Hardy
- Those who forget their past are destined to repeat it. — Robert A. Heinlein
- There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his. – Helen Keller
- Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can’t remember who we are or why we’re here — Sue Monk Kidd
- Southerners are so devoted to genealogy that we see a family tree under every bush. — Florence King
- I don’t know who my grandfather was, I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be. — Abraham Lincoln
- When our hearts turn to our ancestors, something changes insides us. We feel part of something greater than us. — Russell M Nelson
- Everyone has ancestors and it is only a question of going back far enough to find a good one. — Howard Kenneth Nixon
- When we research our own lines we become interested in more than just names. Our interest turns our hearts to our father. We seek to find, know and serve them — Boyd K Packer
- It is a desirable thing to be well-descended, but the glory belongs to our ancestors. — Plutarch
- Genealogy: Tracing yourself back to people better than you are. — John Garland Pollard
- Genealogy is like a scavenger hunt and a jigsaw puzzle all rolled into one. — Dolores J Rush
- When a society or a civilization perishes, one condition can always be found. They forgot where they came from. — Carle Sandbur
- We inherit from our ancestors gifts so often taken for granted. Each of us contains within this inheritance of soul. We are links between the ages, containing past and present expectations, sacred memories and future promise. – Edward Sellner
- If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance. — George Bernard Shaw
- People are hungry for stories. It’s part of our very being. Storytelling is a form of history, of immortality too. It goes from one generation to another. — Studs Terkel
- History doesn’t move you more than when it’s in the iron of your own blood. — J.R. Tompkins
- Why waste your money looking up your family tree? Just go into politics and your opponents will do it for you. — Mark Twain
- Most of our ancestors were not perfect ladies and gentlemen. The majority of them weren’t even mammals. — Robert Anton Wilson
- Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. — Virginia Woolf
- Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation. — Lois Wyse
- Genealogy lets you find your ancestors while you learn about your past. — Owain Couch
Thank You and Please Leave A Comment
I hope you enjoyed this post giving you 100 family tree quotes to make you laugh and also to think about. If you think that this post will be helpful to others then please share with friends and family using the social media buttons below.
If you have any questions or comments then please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.